Have a quick question? Browse through the list below or something doesn't stand out, send us a message and we'll be happy to answer your question.

Quick Answers to Common Questions

  • Do I need a license?

    Yes. A CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) UAV Controllers Certificate is required for the pilot and your business will need a CASA Operators Certificate.

    If agricultural operations are planned then both the operators certificate and controllers certificate will need to be endorsed through your state government environment body. For example; NSW EPA. Our staff will discuss the requirements with you.

  • What is involved in getting a licence?

    All pilots need to complete a three week training course with Yamaha Sky Division Australia which involves one week of theory training and two weeks of practical flight training, followed by completion of a written and practical examination.

    Your pilots and your business need to satisfy CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) requirements.

    Safety is our number one priority.

  • What about spraying chemicals?

    You will need to complete the appropriate chemical handling and distribution course. This is done externally from Yamaha Sky Division Australia and we will recommend suitable locations for you to complete this training course. In most cases, this course tends to take two business days depending on the education company.

    Once you have completed your RMAX training course with us and your chemical handling course, depending on the state that you plan to spray chemicals in, pilots and / or the business is required to be licensed. Requirements vary from state to state and we will provide support to guide you through this process.

  • What else can I use an RMAX for?

    The RMAX has been successfully used for many purposes. Unmanned aerial vehicles are ideally suited to dirty, dull and dangerous tasks. To this end RMAXs have been used to inspect active volcanoes, disaster zones and otherwise inaccessible sites.

    RMAX is used by many universities and research institutions. They are favoured as a stable and reliable platform. They are also used for photography, surveillance, photogrammetry and information gathering.

    The RMAX will safely and reliably carry 28 kg’s of payload - if you need help sourcing suitable camera’s, sensors, gimballs or equipment just let us know.

    You can also have a look at our "RMAX Uses" page by clicking here.

  • How hard is an RMAX to fly?

    If you can master a single blade hobby store helicopter, you will not have a problem mastering the RMAX. Training commences on a simulator before flying a hobby store helicopter then the RMAX.

    The RMAX has many more stability and backup systems than the toys, making it simple and easy to operate

  • How much can I buy an RMAX for?

    The RMAX is only offered on a fully maintained rental arrangement and pricing depends on a number of factors, type of use, equipment level and period required.

    Please note that we can only offer the RMAX for use within Australia and New Zealand. We cannot export RMAX units to any other countries.

  • Can I hire an operator as well?

    We can recommend a number of experienced, factory trained pilots. You can view our current RMAX Operators on our "RMAX Operators" page by clicking here or you can contact Yamaha Sky Division Australia for details of RMAX Operators near you by sending us an enquiry on our "Enquire Now" page by clicking here.

  • Why can’t I buy one outright?

    No. International trade in arms agreements place huge restrictions on export, import and ownership of high capability unmanned vehicles. We have a responsibility to ensure these vehicles stay in responsible hands and that their exact location and usage is always known. It also allows us to ensure that maintainance, responsible usage and environmental standards are met.

    A fully maintained rental option is most cost effective for operators and there are significant tax and cash flow benefits for users.

  • Where is Yamaha Sky Division Australia based and operate?

    Yamaha Sky Division Australia is based in Western Sydney, NSW but we conduct Yamaha RMAX operations Australia wide.

  • Does Yamaha Sky Division provide a training course to fly other types of UAVs?

    No, at this present time our training course can only provide you with the certification and licensing requirements to be able to pilot a Yamaha RMAX UAV.

  • What type of motor does the RMAX contain?

    The RMAX is flown by a 250cc two stroke dual barreled engine with a single carburetor.

  • What is the maximum height, distance, speed & duration that the RMAX can fly at?

    Currently, the RMAX is limited by CASA regulations to 400 feet and a maximum speed of 40kms per hour. Spraying is usually carryed out 3 to 4 metres above the crop canopy.

    The RMAX can be flown for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on weather conditions and the payload that the RMAX is carrying before requiring refuelling.