1. WHO ARE WE?
In this policy “YMI”, “we”, “our”, “us” means Yamaha Motor Insurance Australia Pty. Ltd. ACN 603 882 980. We are a wholly owned subsidiary of Yamaha Motor Finance Australia Pty. Ltd. ACN 101 928 670 (‘YMA’) and part of Yamaha Motor Australia Pty. Ltd. ACN 002 556 989 and its related bodies corporate (“Yamaha Group”).
YMI provides several insurance products throughout Australia and is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. This policy explains how we manage your personal information that we collect, use and disclose and how to contact us if you have any further queries.
We are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles (‘APP’) upon which this policy is based.
YMI also operates under the registered trading names of MI-BIKE Motorcycle Insurance and MI-BOAT Marine Insurance.
2. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
For most products and services, it is necessary for us to collect ‘personal information’. Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable and includes sensitive information.
The personal information we collect will usually be your name, identity details, photos, contact details, demographic information such as post codes, preferences and interests about our products and services and other information relevant to customer surveys, social medial, product research and/or offers.
Personal Information also includes ‘Sensitive Information’. In the event you provide us any Sensitive Information such as health or disability information, we will ask for your consent to obtain, use and disclose that information as permitted by law.
INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM YOUR ONLINE ACTIVITY
When you use our website or mobile applications, we may collect information about your location or activity including IP address, telephone number and whether you have accessed a third-party site from our website. We refer to this information as ‘Website Information’.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM CANDIDATES
- your name, address, email address, telephone number and other contact information;
- personal information contained in your CV, resume, cover letter and other accompanying documents relating to your application;
- personal information obtained from interviews and reference checks (including referee checks and National Police Check); and
- personal information obtained from publicly available sources.
We collect your personal information so that we can carry out the application and recruitment process, which includes, but is not limited to, assessing your application and skills, identifying you, verifying your information, conducting reference checks (including referee checks and National Police Checks), and complying with all applicable laws and regulations.
3. WHAT WE DO WITH INFORMATION WE DID NOT ASK FOR.
Where we receive unsolicited information, we will check whether that information is reasonably necessary for our functions or activities. If it is, we will handle this information the same way described in ‘HOW DO WE HANDLE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?’. If not, we will ensure we de-identify it or destroy it.
4. WHY WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect your personal information (including Sensitive Information and Website Information) so we can:
- underwrite and administer your insurance cover;\
- advise you about and determine what other services or products we can provide to you or that may interest you;
- identify you and conduct necessary checks;
issue, manage and administer services and products provided including processing requests for quotes, applications for insurance, underwriting and pricing policies, answering your requests and complaints, varying products and services and taking legal and/or enforcement action);
- issuing you with a policy, managing claims and claims investigation, handling and settlement;
- engage in dispute resolution, complaints handling and reporting to dispute resolution bodies;
- comply with our legal obligations;
- maintain and improve our services and products; and
- send promotional emails and make special offers or offer other services and products provided by us or those we have an association with, that might be of interest to you.
5. WHAT IF YOU DON’T PROVIDE US WITH YOUR INFORMATION?
If we are unable to collect personal information from or about an individual or an individual refuses to provide the information we require or fails to provide us with an amended privacy statement or any of our forms, guides or documents as requested by us, we may not be able to do business with that individual or the organisation with which the individual is connected and/or administer Our services appropriately.
6. HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
When required, we will collect personal information directly from the individual it relates to (unless you have consented to us collecting it from someone other than you or it is unreasonable or impracticable for us to do so or the law permits us to do so). This may take place in a number of ways, such as when an application for a product or service is completed or a product or service is requested over the telephone, internet, via social media, SMS, email, or via our authorised dealers.
7. HOW WE HANDLE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may provide your personal information to other entities in the Yamaha Group, and they may disclose or use your personal information for the purposes described in ‘WHY WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?’ in relation to products and services they may provide to you unless you tell us not to either verbally or in writing. Where you advise us that you do not wish to have your personal information provided to other entities in the Yamaha Group, we may not be able to continue doing business with you or the organisation to which you are connected to.
Entities in the Yamaha Group may also use your personal information to help them provide products and services to other customers, but they will never disclose your personal information to another customer. At any time, you may advise us either verbally or in writing that you withdraw your consent by using the details described in ‘CONTACT DETAILS’ below.
We will use and disclose your personal information for the purposes we collected it as well as purposes that are directly related, where you would reasonably expect us to. We may disclose your personal information to and/or collect your personal information from:
- the Yamaha Group and other related bodies corporate;
- any of our Yamaha Group joint ventures where authorised or required;
- customer, product, business or strategic research and development organisations;
- extended warranty providers;
- data warehouse, strategic learning organisations, data partners, analytic consultants;
- social media and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- publicly available sources of information;
- clubs, associations, member loyalty or rewards programs and other industry relevant organisations;
- a third party that we have contracted to provide financial services, financial products, or administrative services – for example:
- information technology providers.
- administration or business management services, consultancy firms, auditors, and business management consultants.
- marketing agencies and other marketing service providers.
- claims management service providers.
- print, mail, and digital service providers; and
- imaging and document management services.
- any intermediaries, including your agent, adviser, a broker, representative or person acting on your behalf, other Australian Financial Services Licensee, other Australian Credit Licensees or our authorised representatives, advisers, and our agents;
- a third-party claimant or witnesses in a claim;
- a third-party as required by law;
- accounting or finance professionals and advisers;
- an employer, trustee or custodian associated with membership of a superannuation fund, investment/managed fund, or life insurance policy;
- government, statutory or regulatory bodies and law enforcement bodies;
- policy or product holders or others who are authorised or noted on the policy as having a legal interest, including where you are an insured person but not the policy or product holder;
- in the case of a relationship with a corporate partner such as a bank or a credit union, the corporate partner, and any new incoming insurer;
- the Australian Financial Complaints Authority or any other complaint or external dispute resolution body;
- insurers that we act as agent of under a binder authority, other insurers, reinsurers, insurance investigators and claims or insurance reference services, loss assessors and adjusters, financiers;
- an authorised repairer associated with Us;
- legal and any other professional advisers or consultants;
- hospitals and medical, health or wellbeing professionals;
- debt collection agencies, organisations involved in valuing, surveying or registering an interest in a property taken or proposed to be taken as security for any loan facility, or which otherwise have an interest in such property, purchasers of debt portfolios;
- vehicle manufacturers and/or suppliers of any financed asset; and
- any other organisation or person, where you have asked them to provide your personal information to us or asked us to obtain personal information from them, such as your family member.
We will use a variety of methods to collect and disclose your personal information from, including through written forms, telephone calls and electronic means. We may collect and disclose your personal information during the information life cycle, regularly, or on an ad hoc basis, depending on the purpose of collection.
8. OVERSEAS DISCLOSURE
Sometimes, we need to provide your personal information to, or get personal information about you from, persons located overseas, for the same purposes as in ‘WHY WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?’
The countries we usually disclose your personal information to include India, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Germany, United Kingdom, United States of America and France.
From time to time, we may need to disclose your personal information to, and collect your personal information from, other countries not mentioned above. Nevertheless, we will always disclose and collect your personal information in accordance with privacy laws applicable in Australia.
9. YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND OUR MARKETING PRACTICES
Every now and then, we and any entities in the Yamaha Group might let you know (including via mail, SMS, email, telephone or online) about news, special offers, products and services that you might be interested in. We will engage in marketing unless you tell us otherwise. You can contact us to update your marketing preferences at any time by using the details described in ‘CONTACT DETAILS’ below.
In order to carry out our direct marketing we collect your personal information from and disclose it to others that provide us with specialised data matching, trending or analytical services, as well as general marketing services (you can see the full list of persons and organisations under ‘HOW DO WE HANDLE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?’). We may also collect your personal information for marketing through competitions and by purchasing contact lists.
We, and other people who provide us with services, may combine the personal information collected from you or others, with the information we, or entities in the Yamaha Group, or our service providers already hold about you. We may also use online targeted marketing, data and audience matching and market segmentation to improve advertising relevance to you.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added, and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets us know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
11. LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
12. SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take the security of your personal information seriously and will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, unauthorised modification and unauthorised use or disclosure.
Some of the ways we protect your personal information include, but are not limited to:
- restricting personal information to staff who require it to perform their day-to-day functions only;
- implementing certain technology to prevent unauthorised computer access including identifiers, passwords, firewalls and antivirus software;
- encryption of data that has been stored;
- secure storage of data at our office premises and back up facility located in Australia;
- other security controls including but not limited to firewall and antivirus software on endpoints, annual penetration testing, data transmission over https and sftp;
- implementing policies and procedure for handling of personal information and training of employees; and
- securely storing hard copy documents.
13. HOW TO ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OR MAKE A COMPLAINT
You can access most of the personal information we hold about you by using the contact details described in ‘CONTACT DETAILS’ below. We will need to confirm your identity before providing you access to the information requested. We will try to provide you the personal information requested within a reasonable period of your request.
We may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to the person who has requested access.
Access to personal information may be refused in a number of circumstances, such as where the information relates to anticipated legal proceedings or the request for access is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny or restrict an individual's access, we will write to you explaining why access was refused or restricted.
It is very important for us to have your correct details to service you better. If you become aware that the information we hold about you is not correct or if you wish to update your information, please contact us by using the contact details described in ‘CONTACT DETAILS’ below. We will correct inaccurate personal information or credit related information within 30 days of a correction request and will send written notice confirming the correction within a reasonable period. In the event information was previously disclosed to another entity or third party, we will take reasonable steps to notify them.
If an individual believes that the privacy of their personal information has been compromised or would like to make a compliant, you can contact YMI on:
By phone: 1300 794 454
By email: Customer Service Email Help
We will investigate and respond to your complaint as soon as possible. If you disagree with our decision, you may refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by visiting www.oaic.gov.au, calling 1300 363 992 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing, GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001.
Further, you may also complain to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (“AFCA”). AFCA’s details are:
Telephone: 1800 931 678 (free call)
In writing: Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001
15. CONTACT DETAILS
By phone: 1300 794 454
This policy may change from time to time. Please visit our website regularly as will let you know of any changes to this policy by a notification on our website. In addition, over the course of our relationship with you, we may tell you more about how we handle your information. This could be when you complete an application or form. We recommend you review these statements as they have more specific details for your product holding.